Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] adding IRIG time and time of day

From: "John Dill" <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 08:24:28 -0500
>Message: 1
>Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:42:57 -0800
>From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] adding IRIG time and time of day
>

>On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:39 PM, John Dill <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The timestamp is populated with a time of day starting with day 1 as Jan 1 12:00:00am and wraps around at >>either day 365 or 366 which corresponds to Dec 31, 11:59:59pm. One slight issue is that the IRIG time does >>not capture the year,
>
>According to IRIG Standard 200-04 "IRIG SERIAL TIME CODE FORMATS":
>
>https://wsmrc2vger.wsmr.army.mil/rcc/manuals/200-04/TT-45.pdf <https://www.greenfieldeng.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=https://wsmrc2vger.wsmr.army.mil/rcc/manuals/200-04/TT-45.pdf>
>
>"IRIG Standard 200-98 was last updated in May 1998 and defined the characteristics of the serial time codes >A, B, D, E, G, and H This 2004 edition of the Standard incorporates year information for codes A, B, E, and G. >Codes D and H remain unchanged."
>
>So which IRIG time stamp are we talking about, and are we talking about the 1998 edition, in which there's >apparently no year information, or the 2004 edition, in which there is year information?

The IRIG Time Code Generator used is from ITS (GPS/IRIG B Time Code Generator/Reader, Model 6115G), and it outputs an IRIG-B time code signal which does not have the year embedded in it, so it's pre-2004 standard.

>> so some method will be needed to specify whether the date the leap year. I could use a heuristic like the >>date from the file, or use Ctrl + Alt + 8 to cycle between leap year and non-leap year displays.
>>
>> The data is not collected from Wireshark directly, but from an external board that uses a modified pcap driver >>(cpcap) that I use to stream collected packets to file.
>
>So are we talking about a board such as
>
>http://defense.ge-ip.com/products/cnic-a2pu4/p3437 <https://www.greenfieldeng.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://defense.ge-ip.com/products/cnic-a2pu4/p3437>
>
>for which that page says "An IRIG-B receiver/generator is included for synchronization to external IRIG-B time >sources and for synchronizing multiple CNIC-A boards."

We have a CNIC-A2P3 board installed in a Compact PCI chassis.

http://defense.ge-ip.com/products/cnic-a2p3/p1046

I built the instrumentation package when it was still Condor Engineering around the 2007-08 timeframe.

Best regards,
John D.

<<winmail.dat>>