Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] adding IRIG time and time of day

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:42:57 -0800
On Nov 1, 2013, at 1:39 PM, John Dill <John.Dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The timestamp is populated with a time of day starting with day 1 as Jan 1 12:00:00am and wraps around at either day 365 or 366 which corresponds to Dec 31, 11:59:59pm.  One slight issue is that the IRIG time does not capture the year,

According to IRIG Standard 200-04 "IRIG SERIAL TIME CODE FORMATS":

	https://wsmrc2vger.wsmr.army.mil/rcc/manuals/200-04/TT-45.pdf

"IRIG Standard 200-98 was last updated in May 1998 and defined the characteristics of the serial time codes A, B, D, E, G, and H This 2004 edition of the Standard incorporates year information for codes A, B, E, and G. Codes D and H remain unchanged."

So which IRIG time stamp are we talking about, and are we talking about the 1998 edition, in which there's apparently no year information, or the 2004 edition, in which there is year information?

> so some method will be needed to specify whether the date the leap year. I could use a heuristic like the date from the file, or use Ctrl + Alt + 8 to cycle between leap year and non-leap year displays.
>
> The data is not collected from Wireshark directly, but from an external board that uses a modified pcap driver (cpcap) that I use to stream collected packets to file.

So are we talking about a board such as

	http://defense.ge-ip.com/products/cnic-a2pu4/p3437

for which that page says "An IRIG-B receiver/generator is included for synchronization to external IRIG-B time sources and for synchronizing multiple CNIC-A boards."