Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] UI design history?

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 15:31:19 -0500
Hi all,

I'm currently taking a class on Human-Computer Interaction, and I'm
going to be writing my term paper on Wireshark's UI. The meat of the
paper is going to be on the current interface and application of
various theoretical frameworks, but I thought it would be useful (and
kind of neat) if I could include a brief history of why the current UI
is what it is.

I remember reading (on this list, I think) an explanation that the UI
of pretty much all modern sniffers is derived from the first such
program which was originally for DOS-era systems. Unfortunately, I
have been unable to find the original message or any references to
such a program. Wikipedia contains a tantalizing reference to Network
General's "Sniffer" program, but any real details seem to have been
lost in the mists of time.

If anybody has links or personal knowledge they'd be willing to share
I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Evan