Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] multiple parsing of the same packets

From: Matthieu Patou <mat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 01:14:52 -0700
Hello,

I noticed long time ago that wireshark is parsing the same packet at least 3 tree times.

To make it worse if I go back and forth to the same packet it will be dissected one more time. With complex protocols like DRS (directory replication for Active directory) it's really a problem as the UI freeze for a while.

First thing, why 3 dissections initially, is there a way to reduce this to 2, I more or less understand why 2 pass are needed but 3 ... Also is it possible to remember the dissection of packet so that we don't do it again and again ?

Ps: I'm not on the list, so can you put me in copy of responses

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team