Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Proper private_data usage

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:29:37 -0400
On 10/15/13 13:11, Christopher Maynard wrote:
Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@...> writes:

But, yes, I think that when using private_data the restoration is
necessary: otherwise if you have multiple PDUs in one frame then an
exception in one of the early PDUs will cause the private_data to be
wrong when the next PDU is dissected.

This is one of the reasons not to use private_data at all.

Would it be safer and easier to maintain if this was instead done within
call_dissector() and friends?

Probably but I've always had this belief that TRY/CATCH stuff was expensive so I try not to put them in (and have, in several cases, taken them out when they were clearly not necessary). Unfortunately I don't remember why I think they are expensive...