Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 52608: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 10:28:27 -0400
Would adding a Boolean preference that determines whether or not to write information to the Info column help?  I've considered doing that for other protocols, especially some TCP-based ones where sometimes I'm more interested in the TCP's information than the higher layer's information, but I just ended up adding lots of custom columns instead.

But if Wireshark ever changes the packet rows to a tree view similar to Microsoft Message Analyzer, then each protocol's info could always be visible/accessible, so maybe another reason not to remove it completely, possibly a reason not to introduce the preference too, but I suppose that depends on whether anyone intends to actually pursue this tree view or not.  I believe there was interest in it though.

Would a fence be useful regardless?  I'm thinking about cases of QinQ where the Info column will only display the inner vlan tagging information rather than both inner and outer, so it could be confusing depending on which one you're interested in.