Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Idea for faster dissection on second pas

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:41:05 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Morriss
Sent: den 11 oktober 2013 15:23
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Idea for faster dissection on second pas

On 10/10/13 18:22, Evan Huus wrote:
>> It might be simpler and almost as efficient to have
>> recently-successful heuristic dissectors bubble nearer to the top of
>> the list so they are tried sooner. Port/conversation lookups are
>> hash-tables for the most part and likely won't be made noticeably
>> faster by caching.
>
>Wouldn't that expose us to the risk that the dissection actually changes on the 2nd pass (because the call order of the heuristics changes)?
>That would look pretty weird...

Hmm - yes, another thought is to make a conversation when a heuristic triggers and set the conversation dissector ensuring the same result
On the second pass/filtering.

Another costly item is col_add_fstr, would it be possible to stack up the col_xx statements and just execute the last one(s) as the lover ones will be overwritten any way. Col_set_fence complicates that further I suppose. Dissectors could be made to only set column info is no subdissector is being called but that may become messy.

Regards
Anders