Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] 1.11.0 release

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 11:48:48 +0100
On 9 October 2013 11:21, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013/10/9 Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Oct 9, 2013, at 2:47 AM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> How about dropping the automake based and nmake based makefile systems and
>> replacing both with CMake?
>
> So do you propose that people who are building from source only because they don't have binary packages available for their platforms should be required to install not only make and a C compiler but also CMake?
Building Wireshark already needs way more tools than just make and a C compiler.
IMO with shipping CMake only we could ship something we can reliably
maintain finally.
I also can't name any platform we would like to support but where
CMake is not available easily (like apt-get/yum/etc. install cmake).

Although there are binary packages of Wireshark available for Windows, building is a different story.

CMake is available for Windows, but the CMake build of Wireshark is still at an early alpha and a fair bit more needs to be done yet.  Also the build environment setup still runs as part of the nmake build so that's another blocker.

Graham