Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

From: Matthieu Patou <mat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 18:32:25 -0700
On 10/07/2013 03:05 PM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
The tool.
I think that wireshark has been used a de-facto fork for PIDL the tool
since many many years. But a fork that is occasionally synced back
with upstream.
That is the only way we can make sure that we will always be able to
even compile the IDL in wireshark to a working dissector.
I'm pretty sure that none of the pidl are really able to compile the IDL files that are in the wireshark source tree: I'm working on this issue.

Some of the idl were made for an ancient version of pidl, some with a more recent and we all have failed to update the IDL when we updated the version of pidl.

If wireshark really wants to be sure that they can compile then the code should be never checked in the tree and generated as part of the build process (isn't it was is done for the autogenerated code from ASN1 ?).

Maybe in order to ease the pain for people compiling a release version you could add a step in the packaging that generates the files when doing a release.

Matthieu.