Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Handling of generated dissectors

From: Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:12:10 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
mmann78 wrote:

>I think the issue is that not all generated dissectors can be generated on all platforms Wireshark supports (for varying reasons).  There were "separate steps" (outside of the Wireshark build process) to generate the PIDL dissector source as well as idl2wrs (GIOP) ones and I thought there were reasons why those "separate steps" weren't in the current build process.

It may be worth noting that even for tools entirely within our control (asn2wrs.py) we have both the dissector template and the generated dissector under version control.  Since the only dependency there is on Python (which is required anyway, to my knowledge) perhaps it's time to revisit that as well for all of the ASN.1 dissectors.

Ed