Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Handling of generated dissectors

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 10:03:58 +0200
2013/10/7 Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 04:27:50PM -0400, Evan Huus wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > Matthieu raised an issue that I've seen with asn2wrs generated dissectors
>> > too, just not to the extent of the pidl dissectors. To make it much harder
>> > to miss that the changes we are doing are to generated dissectors I see
>> > two approaches:
>> > - Name the files differently, e.g. prefix with gpacket- instead of packet-,
>> >   so we know when we check that file in that there should be an accompanying
>> >   basefile or generator patch.
>> > - Have a checkin script check for the term generated in the first few lines
>> >   and annotate the commit message that a generated file was changed.
>> >
>> > Thoughts?
>>
>> Ideally we wouldn't keep generated files in svn/git at all. We would
>> keep the sources and (if necessary) the generating tool, and we would
>> make generating them part of the build process. This slows down the
>> initial build somewhat, but it makes it absolutely impossible for them
>> to get out of sync.
>
> True. OK, looks like another solution which looks more convincing than
> the ones I proposed.
I support Evan's approach, too. With automake generated Makefiles it was
not a real option since the cross-directory make target dependencies were
not complete, and with the recursive nature of the generated Makefile structure
it was not really manageable easily. I think after switching to CMake and
removing automake build system we could remove all generated files, too.

Cheers,
Balint