Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:15:38 +0100

On 20 September 2013 08:04, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2013/9/20 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
If I understand correctly, the main difference between Chocolatey
packages and NuGet packages from our perspective is that the former are
installed in system-wide locations (primarily %ProgramFiles%) and the
latter are installed in the local source directory. Which would be
preferable for building Wireshark on Windows?

On my side I would prefer having a system-wide location if I can avoid putting more stuff in my %ProgramFiles% folder as my system disk is filling way too fast. Do we have the possibility to change the target folder (like the WIRESHARK_LIB_DIR environment variable we have today)?

I believe the Chocolatey install script in a package can put the files in any location, they just have defaults.  Chocolatey is a machine-wide package manager and NuGet seems to be more focused on libraries for specific apps, hence targeting the app source directory.

We have a mix of requirements, the (possibly machine-wide) infrastructure (VS, cygwin, python, CMake??, etc.) and then the libraries to link with (gtk, glib, qt etc.) so I'm not certain which tool is best, but it would seem that as Chocolatey has a wider range than NuGet it may be more appropriate.

I still haven't looked into CoApp yet.