Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:42:03 -0700
Way back on 8/7/13 1:17 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:
> On 6 August 2013 19:11, Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>     Good point. Ultimately I'd like to get out of the third party package
>     business. At Sharkfest Graham mentioned that Nuget
>     (http://www.nuget.org/) is starting to gain popularity as a way to
>     package development libraries for Windows. I'm hoping we can migrate
>     from what we currently have to a set of scripts that generate packages
>     and upload them to Nuget.org.
>
> I was leaning more to Chocolatey (http://http://chocolatey.org/) which
> is a helper wrapper around Nuget.  However, someone will still have to
> create the Chocolatey or Nuget packages, I suppose we could create them
> first ourselves and then try to push them upstream to the library
> originator.

I managed to cobble together a PoC PowerShell script that uses
download-mingw-rpm[1] and CoApp[2] to convert the openSUSE Build Service
zlib packages to NuGet packages. The results are attached. Adding more
packages shouldn't be too difficult. Switching to Chocolatey packages
shouldn't be difficult either.

If I understand correctly, the main difference between Chocolatey
packages and NuGet packages from our perspective is that the former are
installed in system-wide locations (primarily %ProgramFiles%) and the
latter are installed in the local source directory. Which would be
preferable for building Wireshark on Windows?

  [1]https://github.com/mkbosmans/download-mingw-rpm
  [2]http://coapp.org/
  [3]https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=windows%3Amingw%3Awin64