Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Usefulness of checklicenses.py

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:43:12 -0400
On 09/16/13 19:58, Evan Huus wrote:
I did a bit of work on this, and there are now 31 files remaining.

Some of them (see my recent email on unlicensed tools) appear to be
just oversights that will involve tracking down and emailing the
original author. Others just have a header that is
non-standard/malformed and can be easily fixed.

Some of them are more complicated:
- packet-vj.c appears to be illegal for us to use, it seems to include
All Rights Reserved code from Qualcomm.

I don't know about All Rights Reserved stuff but the license that follows appears to be a 4-clause BSD license (the 4th clause being the "obnoxious advertising clause" which I was once told is incompatible.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

- packet-ieee80211-radiotap-iter.c is only available under GPL2 (as
opposed to GPL2+, like the rest of Wireshark) so I'm not sure if it is
compatible or not.
- epan/reedsolomon.[ch] appears to be only under the *original* GPL,
so I have no idea.

(I am not a lawyer.)

I am tempted to add the remaining list to the "ignore" set, just so we
start getting emails when new files fail license-check, however I'm
not sure if we'd ever get around to them in that situation...

Thoughts?

I'd say push to finish fixing up what we have...