Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Transport name resolution

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:49:09 -0700
On Sep 16, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09/16/13 16:04, Guy Harris wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 16, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> If we decide to have it default off perhaps we shouldn't default to write
>>> User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 60000 (60000), Dst Port: 13868 (13868) but rather
>>> User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 60000 , Dst Port: 13868
>>
>> Yes, and the same applies for network addresses, if we're not already doing that.
>
> Defaulted to off (i.e., a preference) or off by code?

I was thinking "off by code", i.e. stay away from the Department of Redundancy Department.

> If we have a preference (for services or network addresses) I think keeping the same format:
>
>> User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 60000 (60000), Dst Port: 13868 (13868)
>
> is actually a good thing because then tshark output parsers don't have to worry about whether or not the preference is set.

TShark output parsers not made of neurons should probably be parsing "-T {psml,pdml,fields}" output.  (TShark output parsers made of neurons generally handle ambiguities and format differences a lot better than TShark output parsers made of code.)