Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] patch development questions

From: Mark Vitale <mvitale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:42:50 +0000
I've used Wireshark for years but I'm brand new to Wireshark development.

I have a few patches to dissector packet-afs that were given to me by a customer to submit on their behalf.
I have the current Wireshark source and have my toolchain set up on a Centos6 box to build 1.6, 1.8, or 1.10 successfully.
The patches were originally written against 1.6.  I'm currently forward-porting them to master, but I have
no way to build and test master patches in my current environment because the Centos repos do not in general
have the latest preregs (for gtk3, pango, glib, etc) required to configure and build the current tip/master/trunk
(whatever you all call the development branch).  I do not want to get into downloading toolchain sources and
maintaining dependencies manually; I'd much rather stick with packages if possible.

My understanding from reading the developer docs is that I should open bug reports and attach my patches
to the tickets.   These patches should apply to the tip, not to a particular release.  Do you ever
make exceptions to this policy?  That is, would you accept patches against 1.10?

If not, I'll make a new vm with a Linux distro that's not so conservative in its repo policies.
Is there a particular distro you would recommend for Wireshark development, or doesn't it matter much?
My only requirements are the need to use a package manager (yum/apt/whatever) to automate my
dependency checking, and that its repos be current enough to configure and build the latest Wireshark.

Thanks,
--
Mark Vitale
mvitale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx