Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Usefulness of checklicenses.py

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:34:03 -0700
On 9/6/13 7:25 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> buildbot is failing in checklicenses - and it looks like the list of
> failed licenses is long. If nobody fixes this, then what's the idea
> behind that check?
>
> http://buildbot.wireshark.org/trunk/builders/Ubuntu-12.04-x64/builds/6101/steps/check licenses/logs/stdio

The script came from Chromium:

http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/tools/checklicenses/

I was hoping we could use it to check our code base for incompatible
licenses. However, it needs some work to better match our repository
instead of Chromium. If that's too much trouble I don't mind disabling
the build step or removing the script completely.

If we do keep it we might want to use Chromium's version of
licensecheck.pl since it seems to do a better job of detecting licenses,
particularly for code generated by bison:

http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome/trunk/src/third_party/devscripts/