Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 51742: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:30:44 -0700
On Sep 3, 2013, at 2:20 PM, cmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=51742
>
> User: cmaynard
> Date: 2013/09/03 02:20 PM
>
> Log:
> Similar to the IPv4 dissector's hf_ip_dst_host, hf_ip_src_host and hf_ip_host fields, add to the Ethernet dissector:
>
> hf_eth_dst_resolved
> hf_eth_src_resolved
> hf_eth_addr_resolved

Would it make sense to allow address types (FT_IPv4, FT_IPv6, FT_ETHER, etc.) to be treated either as strings representing the host name *or* as IP/MAC/etc. addresses, with the context indicating which is used?

E.g.

	ip.src == 127.0.0.1

would test the "IP address" version of the value, whereas

	ip.src contains "local"

would test the "host name" version of the value?

	ip.src == localhost

is perhaps ambiguous (depending on whether you consider localhost a string or not), but I'd handle that one as an address comparison.

	ip.src contains 7f:00

would probably test the "IP address" version (byte string vs. character string).