Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 51395: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:56:34 +0200
2013/8/19 Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>

Le 19 août 2013 à 13:24, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

On 2013-08-19, at 6:42 AM, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2013/8/17 Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
By the way from ROHC code:

2296             data = "" *)ep_alloc(len);
2299             next_tvb = tvb_new_child_real_data(tvb, data, len, len);
2300             add_new_data_source(pinfo, next_tvb, "Payload");

It's very bad idea to use ep-allocated tvb as data source.

Hi Jakub,

I fixed several dissectors using ep allocated memory for data source in r51423. I hope I did not miss any.

That's great Pascal. However, there are some where if an exception gets thrown before the tvb_set_free call then it could be a memory leak. If it is not possible to move the set_free to immediately after the allocation (so there is nothing to throw an exception) then I suggest allocating in wmem's pinfo->pool instead.

Cheers,
Evan

Hi Evan,

I already used the pinfo pool for two dissectors (one because wmem was already used and the opensafety one because ther ewas far too many code lines and branches between allocation and the add as data source) and I will do a quick pass to see if it can be used for other dissectors as well when I have time.

Done in r51427.