Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Enabling packet editor (was: Re: packet_win.c still broken)

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:56:38 +0200
On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 02:41:19PM +0200, Alexis La Goutte wrote:
> > Hey, I use it too.I really like it option to modify and save that to file.
> > It can be used to check another protocol value while writing new dissector.
> > http://wiki.wireshark.org/GSoC2013 (Packet Editor)
> >
> > Maybe experimental options like this should be enabled in development
> > release, than disabled in release if incomplete. As I know this one is not
> > broken.
> >

> I like the idea of Michal, to add by default packet editor and a preference
> to enable the feature.
> I will make more visibility to packet editor...
>
> I attach a serie of patch to add packet editor to the default and
> preference

I'm fine with these patches (why you need preference option for it?).

Still we've discussed this topic already in: "[Wireshark-core] 1.6 branch" thread,
and I'm afraid nothing was changed.

It was fun project, I no longer need it, and I'd rather drop it rather than enable (code is not so great).

We had lot (I counted 4) of GSoC students who wanted to work on packet editor stuff,
maybe we pick one next year?

Cheers,
Kuba.