Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [msvc] 'etype_vals' : unknown size

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 10:47:56 -0700
On Aug 13, 2013, at 3:00 AM, DbdM Tbt <spin.x2k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately I am not building from a checkout (SVN/git), instead I am using the wireshark source from here:
> http://www.wireshark.org/download/src/wireshark-1.10.1.tar.bz2
> I retrieved the latest etypes.h though and replaced my copy.
> However, the error will still occur:
> C:\wireshark-1.10.1\epan/etypes.h(551) : error C2133: 'etype_vals' : unknown size
>
> Would building from a checkout matter? (I think it won't)

I think it will.

A number of changes to ws_symbol_export.h were made, after 1.10 was released, to fix the use of "extern", especially with data declarations and definitions; declarations of arrays without an explicit size *MUST* use "extern", as MSVC gets upset otherwise, and definitions of data objects that explicitly initialize them must *NOT* use "extern", as some compilers get upset otherwise.

Those fixes will probably fix your problem.

Most Wireshark development should probably be done by checking out the trunk from SVN.  The only development that should be done with a release source tarball is:

	building plugins for that particular release;

	building modified versions of that particular release for use in-house.

If you are doing one of those, we can see whether we can backport the changes I mentioned above to the 1.10 branch so that they're in a future 1.10 release.