Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Clang build with ASAN

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:07:01 +0200

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

2013/8/12 Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> it is now possible to build wireshark with clang (CC=clang ./configure &&
> make) (i fix last issue last week end).
Great news!

> I will try the ASAN feature (
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AddressSanitizer.html )
ASAN is also ported to GCC 4.8.
I'm not sure which compiler is more reliable regarding ASAN checks, though.

> Also may be now add a clang build to buildbot? (no only scan-build)
I also wanted to raise the question of adding '-fsanitize=address'  to
the C flags.
I think fuzzing with ASAN would worth the extra CPU time on buildbots
and I'm even considering
turning ASAN on in the Debian packages by default.

ASAN is basically a borrowed subset of valgrind, so fuzzing with ASAN is not necessary if we can ever get fuzzing with valgrind to work...

ASAN is only 2x slower (valgrind is 20x slower...) and some bugs is only detect by ASAN...