Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Gently migrating to Git + Gerrit

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:11:28 -0700
On 8/6/13 4:18 AM, Bálint Réczey wrote:

> Currently all the library archives are stored in SVN and if we simply convert it
> to Git anyone cloning the repository would have to download all the libs ever
> checked in (unless using git clone --depth which imposes other limitations).
> Handling binary files is not exactly where Git shines. There is a
> separate project,
> git-annex to support using Git helping file storage, but Windows support is not
> perfect according to the project's page [1].
>
> Regarding the libraries I think it would probably be enough to use a
> downloadable
> .zip file containing a snapshot of the needed Windows libraries
> instead of cloning
> a Subversion/Git repository to the machine. The scripts maintaining the snapshot
> could be stored in Git, of course, but I'm not sure if rethinking the
> library installation
> should happen before moving the main codebase to Gerrit.

Good point. Ultimately I'd like to get out of the third party package
business. At Sharkfest Graham mentioned that Nuget
(http://www.nuget.org/) is starting to gain popularity as a way to
package development libraries for Windows. I'm hoping we can migrate
from what we currently have to a set of scripts that generate packages
and upload them to Nuget.org.

> I think simply creating a sandbox repository of Wireshark's source in
> Gerrit would give
> developers a good opportunity to try the workflow and we can delete
> the sandbox and
> make the switch after enough developers are confident with it.

Agreed.