Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Remove ett_variables (was: remove hf_ variables)

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 23:31:18 +0200
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:42:02PM +0200, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:
> and some cycles on startup + max 2-3 MB less in binary doesn't seems like good deal
> against converting 90% of dissectors codebase :)

Another idea, is to remove ett_ variables, it requires much less
rewritting, some proof of concept: http://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/remove-ett-vars.patch

It looks uglier, and little bit strange for users (why '-' ?!).
Still proto_register_subtree_array() works, so no API/ABI regression

After converting all dissectors this will save something like 360 KB binary size + some CPU on start up.

I'm not really fond of this 'compatilibity' #defines, so maybe removing them would be better.
Ah, and we no longer catch 'yet another ett_ registration', of course we could pass 'base' index to function...