Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Chart of wireshark memory usage

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:28:06 -0400
On 07/25/13 08:18, Evan Huus wrote:
On 2013-07-25, at 12:47 AM, Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Jakub Zawadzki skrev 2013-07-20 16:41:
Hi all,

Recently I was trying to move io_stat graph functionality to some GtkWidget.
For now I failed, but as a side effect result I've created memory usage dialog ;]

It looks like this:http://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/memory_dlg.png

Attaching dirty patch (not ready for merging), enjoy.

Cheers,
Jakub.

Hi,
I committed the memory_dlg code as I made it work on windows and it
will be easier to collaborate on
it in SVN. For the emem patch should it return both the allocated and
used sizes as that would be a more
accurate indication of the memory used by the application.

For the function reading the memory used by the application should
that be in it's on section in epan or wsutil
if it's useful for other purposes? Part of the summary information?
Regards
Anders

If people are interested in pursuing this further, it would be very easy
to write a wmem allocator that provides much more detailed statistics
(number of allocations by size, for example). Not everything goes though
wmem yet, but I'll get there eventually.

I looked at adding some kind of profiling to Wireshark's memory usage some years ago (but lost interest in my method). What I *really* wanted to know was "where is the memory going?" Is it TCP reassembly, frame_data's, or what? And I wanted it to be visible in a normal Wireshark build so if some user complained of high memory usage we could see what, in their particular trace file, was causing the usage.