Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Chart of wireshark memory usage

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:17:49 +0000

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Evan Huus
Sent: den 25 juli 2013 14:18
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Chart of wireshark memory usage

On 2013-07-25, at 12:47 AM, Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Jakub Zawadzki skrev 2013-07-20 16:41:

Hi all,

Recently I was trying to move io_stat graph functionality to some GtkWidget.
For now I failed, but as a side effect result I've created memory usage dialog ;]

It looks like this: http://www.wireshark.org/~darkjames/memory_dlg.png

Attaching dirty patch (not ready for merging), enjoy.

Cheers,
Jakub.

Hi,
I committed the memory_dlg code as I made it work on windows and it will be easier to collaborate on
it in SVN. For the emem patch should it return both the allocated and used sizes as that would be a more
accurate indication of the memory used by the application.

For the function reading the memory used by the application should that be in it's on section in epan or wsutil
if it's useful for other purposes? Part of the summary information?
Regards
Anders

If people are interested in pursuing this further, it would be very easy to write a wmem allocator that provides much more detailed statistics (number of allocations by size, for example). Not everything goes though wmem yet, but I'll get there eventually.

Evan

I think that would be useful as we could track down the memory hogs and in general map memory usage. We might also need the output in text

Format as well as a graph. Something like the Summary but for memory usage.

Regards

Anders