Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Make gtk3 default (over gtk2)?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 11:41:14 -0700
On Jul 24, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, the logic is a bit broken - will fix it later tonight if nobody beats me to
> is: right now, if gtk3 is preferred over gtk2 will not be tried even if gtk3 is
> not available.

I've checked in a change to the autoconf script so that, if --disable-wireshark wasn't specified:

	if *no* GUI toolkit was specified, use only GTK+ 3;

	if *both* GTK+ 2 *and* GTK+ 3 were specified, fail;

	otherwise, build with the toolkits that were specified.

We could instead, if no GUI toolkit was specified, use GTK+ 3 if it's available, otherwise use GTK+ 2, but the output of the scripts that check for versions of GTK+ is *REALLY* ugly, and potentially confusing, if the check fails (the failure message might make users think a fatal failure happened and report it, rather than something else, as the problem they're seeing).