Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] OSX 32-bit build on 10.5.x (Leopard) no longer supported?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 14:37:59 -0700
On Jul 8, 2013, at 12:24 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right now, I'm trying to figure out how to break the dependency circle between GLib 2.16.3 and pkg-config 0.28; it may involve going with an older version of pkg-config if building for a Leopard target.

OK, I've checked in, and backported to 1.10 and 1.8, some changes to:

	add a "-t" flag to macosx-setup.sh, to set the target release for which to build (e.g., "10.5", "10.6", etc.) - that will cause it to build the support libraries against the SDK for that release and build them with a -mmacosx-version-min option specifying that release, and, for a target of 10.5, also causes it to build everything 32-bit;

	add a "-u" option to macosx-setup.sh, to uninstall the stuff it thinks is installed (based on the presence of -done files);

	add a "--enable-osx-deploy-target" flag to the Wireshark configure script, to set the target release for which to build (again, e.g. 10.5, 10.6, etc.), with the same effects as the "-t" flag to macosx-setup.sh.

I tried using them all on a 10.6 (virtual) machine, with the target release being 10.5, and build a dmg; the dmg appeared to install and run on a 10.5 (virtual) machine (although it was from the trunk, and it appears that 10.5 can't handle the Shiny New Wireshark Icon - once you *find* the icon with some clicking, you can double-click it, though).

Michael, could you, on the OSX-10.5-x86 buildbot:

	uninstall all the support libraries;

	run "./macosx-setup.sh -t 10.5" to install the support libraries built for 10.5;

	set up the buildbot to configure with "--enable-osx-deploy-target=10.5" (you shouldn't need to explicitly set "-arch i386" - that option should do so)?

Once a build completes with that, I'll try the 1.8.x build, which should have icons that work on Leopard.

Then, once the OSX-10.6-x64 buildbot is available again:

	uninstall all the support libraries;

	run "./macosx-setup.sh -t 10.6" to install the support libraries built for 10.6 *and* against the 10.6 SDK (rather than against the versions of the system libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/X11/lib)

	set up the buildbot to configure with "--enable-osx-deploy-target=10.6"?

Hopefully, the results of those builds will work on 10.6.0 and later, even if the build is done on a later Snow Leopard software update, and thus fix bug 5937.