Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Code sharing between TLS and DTLS

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:52:57 -0700
On 7/4/2013 2:30 PM, Evan Huus wrote:
There should be a way to refactor such that the hf_ fields are
parameters, so that each user (ssl, dtls, etc) gets their own set of
filter names.

yes of course this can be done. I just don't know if this is really necessary. The Wireshark user will likely know if he is looking for SSL/TLS (on TCP connections) or DTLS (on UDP). If may be sufficient to use "tls.*" for both use cases. If we decide to unify filter names we shouldn't use the current "ssl.*" or "dtls.*".

If the user doesn't know if he wants to examine SSL/TLS or DTLS (maybe studying something generic about these kinds of encryption protocols) the user would like to have a filter prefix that will match both use cases.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann ^ doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj