Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Checksum filterable fields

Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
While I thought <dissector>.good_checksum = FALSE and <dissector>.bad_checksum = TRUE, was duplicative, you provided a valid case for having it.
Perhaps all checksum validations could be an enumeration of
"-1" (or "2"?) - unknown/disabled
"0" - good
"1" - bad

If we're already going to take a hit with changed display filter names in the name of consistency, why not go all the way?

The "more duplicative" case is with bad_checksum field and expert info (because presumably only bad checksums are expert_info worthy).  When I converted some of the expert info to the new API, I felt stuck with

<dissector>.bad_checksum (FT_BOOLEAN field for dissection)
<dissector>.bad_checksum.expert (FT_NONE field for expert info)

I thought FT_BOOLEAN and FT_NONE would cause issues because they are incompatible field types, so the filter names couldn't be shared.

If checksum validation is disabled, then dissector checksum validator field would get -1 (or 2), and no expert info would be generated.