Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] CMake for Windows

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:10:51 +0200
Hi

As I am somewhat converse in cmake, I can give you a few pointers, if you like.

In general for each package a cmake system should look for, a
Find<PackageName>.cmake file should exist in either one of two places:

- The local directory (in wireshark underneath <src>/cmake/modules/Find....
- Or the global cmake directory <cmake_install_dir>/Modules/Find...

Those packages usually comply to a definition, where you can provide a
searchpath by setting a directory before including the package.

So if you have a CMakeLists.txt with the following context:

INCLUDE(Findzlib)
IF(ZLIB_FOUND)

ENDIF(ZLIB_FOUND)

then you can set a search path by using:

IF(WIN32)
    SET(ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIRS "c:\\wireshark-win32-libs\\zlib125\\include")
    SET(ZLIB_LIBRARY_DIRS "c:\\wireshark-win32-libs\\zlib125\\bin"
"c:\\wireshark-win32-libs\\zlib125\\lib" )
ENDIF(WIN32)
INCLUDE(Findzlib)

But setting static routes should be avoided, so better set a relative
path (aka ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/../..) or
using a system variable.

If you have to call a script, you should do this by using either
EXECUTE_PROCESS or better create a CUSTOM_TARGET which you can depend
on, so that the right libraries will allways be downloaded, if they
cannot be found.

Finally, if you include user-editable scripts, they should start with
CMake...... and end in .txt. Something like config.CMake should be
avoided, as it is nmake specific.

kind regards,
Roland