Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] make rpm-package fails if uic isn't installed.

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:05:22 -0400
On 06/25/13 17:47, Christopher Maynard wrote:
I'm trying to build a customized RHEL6 wireshark rpm based on 1.10.0, but it
fails because uic isn't installed.  I have tried to set --with-qt=no, but
this has no effect.

The error follows:

make[1]: Entering directory `/path/to/wireshark/1.10.0/ui/qt'
uic capture_preferences_frame.ui -o ui_capture_preferences_frame.h
make[1]: uic: Command not found
make[1]: *** [ui_capture_preferences_frame.h] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/path/to/wireshark/1.10.0/ui/qt'
make: *** [distdir] Error 1
[user@host 1.10.0]$

So, I was able to compile Wireshark without uic, but I am unable to create
the rpm without it?  Is that to be expected?  I can install the qt-devel
package, but it has a lot of dependencies that I was hoping I wouldn't have
to install just for this, especially since I'm not building for Qt.

Yes, unfortunately that's expected.

The problem is that to build the rpm you need to be able to "make dist" and you need Qt to do that (because some of the Qt stuff in the source tarball is generated).

(OK, I admit I don't know if the Qt stuff really has to be generated or not--I'm assuming whoever put it in there knows better than me. I just know that because it's generated we need Qt to do "make dist" and we need "make dist" to build an RPM.)

I thought I had put in some logic to prevent you from getting that far into "make dist" before dying but I guess maybe I tried and failed/gave up.