Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Fileshark (AKA Dissecting Files with Wireshark)

From: Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:04:20 +0200

On 21 June 2013 19:54, Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One thing that comes to mind about how a FileShark GUI should be different from a WireShark GUI is the amount of data that should / can be shown.

In my job, I often analyze ELF files. Very big ELF files. One thing I'd like to do in FileShark is to read them, look at the various headers, but not have it show me all the data in each ELF section by default. Because, they are huge, and I don't need a hexdump of megabytes of data I don't care about.

maybe it's just a matter of not using the "data" dissector.... but then again, I wouldn't want the hexdump pane to have to show gigabytes of raw data.

Ok, so you need to change UI Pane Layout only (Packet Bytes set to None). But for me File/Packet Bytes is very useful (Packet List is not useful... it can be close too.