Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Proposed Gerrit workflow (was: Re: Notes from Sharkfest '13)

From: Bálint Réczey <balint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 19:58:54 +0100
Hi,

2013/6/22 Marc Petit-Huguenin <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On 06/22/2013 09:43 AM, Bálint Réczey wrote:
>> Hi Marc,

>>> "Code is building and tests are passing on all platforms. (Tests
>>> automatically start when at least one Core Developer gives +1 or +2 to
>>> prevent overloading or cracking the build servers.)"
>>>
>>> Why do not build and test all patchsets submitted?  Is that a limitation
>>> of the build servers?  Having Jenkins automatically verify your patchset
>>> is IMO one of the nice feature of Gerrit, and it will lower the workload
>>> of core devs if building and testing are done before they start looking
>>> at the patchset.
>> Build can be triggered by patchset submissin, too, but it would require
>> more build server resources. Usually not the first version of the
>> changeset will be accepted especially from new contributors and this means
>> more builds.
>
> My view is the opposite: New contributors patchsets will probably be rejected
> anyway (does not build, does not pass test, etc...), so having the system
> doing that lowers the burden on core developers, who they can focus on more
> high level problems.
>
>> Note that Core Developers would not have to wait since they can give +1 for
>> their own changesets.
>>
>> The other reason behind requiring a +1 from someone we trust is that
>> otherwise it would be easy to prepare a changeset which does unspeakable
>> things to the build servers which we don't want to happen. Without
>> requiring +1 we would have to prepare build systems to cope with malicious
>> commits.
>
> That is a good point (basically because of the halting problem).  But builds
> are done in isolation (i.e a git clone is done each time), so apart using too
> much resources or never ending, there is no harm that can be done to the
> infrastructure.  And there is a Jenkins plugin to abort a build if it is stuck.
I was concerned about using the buildbots for attacking other systems, too,
but all of those threats can be handled and we have time for setting
up build bots
properly.

I have updated the proposal to start tests for every change and allow
Code Devs to
bypass peer review.

Comments are still welcome. :-)

Cheers,