Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Fileshark (AKA Dissecting Files with Wireshark)

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 23:15:41 -0700
> Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I like the idea of a sister application targetting files. I'm not concerned at
this point how to structure dissectors, libraries and APIs. We should just get
it started and re-evaluate after some months if we like the partition. If we
plan to go through a review process after some time and plan time for
re-organization we might get it started better, than trying to define the
perfect partition right from the start.

However we should agree which UI library to use: GTK2, GTK3, QT. Personally I
vote for QT, espescially since the Wireshark QT is still in great flux we can
probably have both applications benefit from each other in this early stage.

We should also prepare ourself to get a bunch of new users and hopefully
developers if we start a Fileshark. I can think that there are more people out
there who like to analyze files than network packets. Also there are definately
more file formats than network protocols.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj