Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] using C++, was: Notes from Sharkfest '13

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 23:08:45 -0700
> C++. It snuck in with Qt. Should we allow C++ in the rest of the code or
> at least use C++ compilation everywhere?

A tough call. If we go C++ we should have a plan to use the STL classes with our
concept of memory (allocator scope). I've started a short discussion last year,
but somebody found out, that using STL objects on the heap with the C++
allocators doesn't have the same semantics (and really doesn't work) with our
packet or file lifetime scopes.

However a second approach with C++ objects managed by smart pointers and those
smart pointers being aware of the packet/file/application lifetime might work.
We should research this, write guidelines how to use C++ objects in Wireshark
and then make a decision if we want to allow C++ features everywhere.

Another advantage would be that we can use real C++ exceptions.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj