Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Jurassic packets

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:58:19 -0400
Speaking of Ethereal 0.2.0 ...

Recently I've noticed that some people, when they tweet about the project, are still referring to it as, "Ethereal (also known as Wireshark)", and I was wondering just how long it's going to take for them to start referring to it as, "Wireshark (previously known as Ethereal)" or simply dropping the reference to Ethereal altogether.

That got me to wondering just how long the project has been called Wireshark and how long it had been previously called Ethereal.  For no particular reason, I crafted a capture file (attached) that depicts the date/time at which the project will have been named Wireshark for as long as it had been named Ethereal.  Anyway, by Sharkfest '14, the Wireshark name will have surpassed the Ethereal name in terms of longevity.

- Chris