Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Getting "undefined symbol" with latest build from SVN

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 13:13:38 -0700
On May 25, 2013, at 12:27 PM, Alexander Koeppe <format_c@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> since a few days, after I updated and recompiled the sources via SVN, I
> get the following error when trying to start wireshark:
>
>    symbol lookup error: ../../tmp/wireshark/bin/wireshark: undefined
> symbol: epan_dissect_packet_contains_field

You have only one "wireshark" executable image on your system, right?

If not, then:

> P.S.
> I generated my Makefiles with
>    ./configure --prefix=/home/user/tmp/wireshark
> .
> Then I start with /home/user/tmp/wireshark/bin/wireshark. Maybe it matters.

...perhaps you have a post-r49530 binary of Wireshark that's finding a pre-r49530 binary of the libwireshark library; r49530 introduced that routine and made the "follow SSL stream" code use it to check whether the current packet was an SSL packet or not.