Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Expert info is now filterable!

Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 23:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
For those of you that aren't masochists and follow the bug mailing list, I added support for "(display) filterable" expert info. Expert info can now also be used as
a display filter.   And just like the proto_tree_add_text to proto_tree_add_item conversion, there's work to be done making all the expert info calls filterable. It
would be appreciated that if you feel responsible for a dissector (or just want to help), please commit or submit to bugzilla (https://bugs.wireshark.org/bugzilla/) a patch with the API updates. I'll probably handle the dissectors that have only a handful of calls.

Quick synopsis:
expert_add_info - used for static strings
expert_add_info_format_text - used for formatted (printf) strings
Register an array of fields with expert_register_field_array().

Current dissectors with the functionality:
packet-arp.c
packet-bootp.c
packet-cip.c
packet-dhcpv6.c
packet-enip.c
(idl2wrs dissectors)

I'd eventually like to replace the existing expert_add_info_format with the expert_add_info_format_text signature when the conversions are complete because I think it's the more appropriate name.  The goal is to complete this before the 1.12 release.  There are a lot less expert_add_info_format()s than there are proto_tree_add_text()s, with many reusable fields so I think it's acheivable.

Michael