Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] About translations of Wireshark

From: "Turner" <turner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 00:26:02 +0800
Hi,

In http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Translations we reached a conclusion that "Translating all the dissector output is practically impossible. But without this, it might not make real sense to translate other parts."

By means of a RegExp search I figured out that there are roughly about 10000 string literals hard-coded in the dissector source files, but the majority of them aren't really user-visible strings that need to be translated.

In my humble opinion if we're not going to do i18n work all at once, maybe it is possible that we can put a tag on all the translatable strings, so that we can use automatic tools like GNU's gettext to extract these strings for translation later on.
(Perhaps the amount of translation work is not that much if we use automated tools to extract strings to be translated, and if given a helping hand from our vast user community)

Is there any tips/tricks that help with the work of manually going through all these hard-coded string literals in source code and pick out the translatable ones?

Thanks,
-Richard Turner