Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] WS_DLL_PUBLIC only works for files with registered protocols

From: Neil Piercy <Neil.Piercy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2013 08:14:33 +0000
> > The WS_DLL_EXPORT mechanism
>
> Presumably you mean WS_DLL_PUBLIC?
[NPP>] Sorry, yes.

> > seems to only actually export the symbols in libwireshark.dll from files (in
> epan/dissectors) that contain registered protocols: files which contain pure
> helper functions (to share amongst several plugins) do not get those
> functions exported (but they are in the .lib).
>
> Do the header files declaring only pure helper functions include
> "ws_symbol_export.h"?
[NPP>] Yes - but even with that the symbols did not show in the DLL (but were global in the .lib). Adding a (dummy) register function to the file and moving it to the registered dissector files part of the makefile made the symbols show up (both steps were needed). Very strange: I certainly don't understand why.

Neil

This message contains confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the message immediately.

ip.access Ltd, registration number 3400157, Building 2020,
Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge CB23 6DW, United Kingdom