Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows 8 Mobile Broadband interface model interface types

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 11:32:06 -0400
On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Roger Smith <irieblue@xxxxxx> wrote:
>  Windows 8 added support for MBIM devices/network interfaces. Unfortunately these MBIM interfaces are not showing up as a selectable interface  in wireshark. Any idea on how to get this working?
>
> MBIM interfaces  transport ip packets and are not wrapped in an Ethernet style frame. Essentially MBIM is a new interface type that adheres to the USB CDC NCM/MBIM Spec that has a pretty well defined headers. I need the ability to decode the packets across an MBIM connection.
>
> Any idea how to get this working? MBIM is finally a standard that should replace RNDIS for USB network devices , but more important work on all platforms wire shark runs on.

Wireshark uses WinPcap [1] to interface with networking devices on
Windows, so support for these devices will have to be added there
first (this will likely involve adding a new linktype to the official
list [2]).

Once that is done we can add a dissector to Wireshark for the framing
protocol, but that will be (mostly) useless without the WinPcap
component already in place.

(For reference, a general spec seems to be available at [3].)

Cheers,
Evan

[1] https://www.winpcap.org/
[2] http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html