Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GSoC 2013 Project Proposal for Root permissions in wireshark

From: Surbhi Jain <jainsurbhi024@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:11:19 +0545
Would it mean that end user can also capture traffic which won't belong to him or if he is not the owner of the packet? Security has no concern for capturing packets?

Root permissions are therefore OS dependent? Am I right?
Or are we supposed to edit the dumpcap file.

Surbhi Jain
3rd year , Computer Science Engineering
University School of  Information & Communication Technology
Contact Email ID - surbhijain1@xxxxxxx

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Apr 24, 2013, at 7:24 AM, Surbhi Jain <jainsurbhi024@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A normal user must have the permissions to capture and view the packet info. till layer 5 if that belongs to his request from server.
> He can be able to save a packet, to delete a packet, to edit a packet and sent it back to the server.
>
> Packet contains the info for the identification of the host ( IP address + Port number). I think we can use the options field of TCP header to contain the name of the owner of the packet in encrypted form.

Not if the packet isn't a TCP packet, you can't.

The purpose of this project is not to safely allow privileges to capture packets to be given to anybody, without letting them capture traffic that they're somehow not "entitled" to capture; the purpose is to allow people to run Wireshark, TShark, and dumpcap to capture whatever traffic they want without having to run as root.  If the computer is a personal computer on a personal network, the owner should be allowed to see any traffic that they want, and even run in promiscuous or monitor mode; if it's a "personal" computer on some organizational network (corporate/government/etc.), the organization might well want to ban sniffers entirely, even if they're not running in promiscuous or monitor mode, except on machines that belong to network administrators; if the computer is a time-shared computer or server, they might want to allow only network administrators to capture traffic.

So I don't see the point of modifying the network stack to add the "owner of the packet" as a TCP option.