Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 47214: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/: prefs.c

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 10:19:44 +0200
On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 01:11:40PM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:
> On 4/24/13 11:37 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:25:51PM -0700, Gerald Combs wrote:
> > Would it make sense to shift development of Qtshark to Qt5? I don't see
> > much merrit in supporting both Qt4 and Qt5 and at least on my openSUSE
> > system, I need to reinstall the development packages because they can't
> > coexist, making build stuff for Qt5 extremly inconvenient. Oh, and regarding
> > long time maintainance I'd rather have Qt5 support than Qt4 support.
>
> It might. Qt5 wasn't usable until recently, so most of the development
> so far has been with Qt4. Are the APIs really that different, however?
> So far supporting both hasn't been nearly as much trouble as supporting
> GTK2 and GTK3.

It's not so much the coding (with some features only available in the newer
version), it's the testing ;)

> Can you try adding the following to your GTK settings (which might be
> named ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini)?
>
> gtk-scrolled-window-placement = top-right
>
> On my laptop this moves the vertical scrollbars to the left. It seems
> really odd to have a setting for this in a single application instead of
> system-wide.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Wireshark is the only gtk-application I run
regularly (probably the only one I started this month), but it is still
very nice to know. Now I can comfortably use Wireshark again.

Many thanks!
   Jörg