Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Priorities and TO-DO list for QtShark

From: Evan Huus <eapache@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:04:16 -0400
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Turner <turner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm Richard Turner, a university student developer from China. I'm looking
> forward to participating the development of QtShark in GSoC with all your
> kindly help.
>
> I've built the wireshark-qt and it runs without big problems. Nonetheless,
> the doc comments on the project: "DO NOT simply port things over. Every
> feature, window, and element should be re-thought."
> So, I'd like to know more about the top priorities and maybe a TO-DO list
> for QtShark.
>
> I really appreciate any information and thoughts you can provide.

Hi Richard,

I can't speak for priorities, but off the top of my head here's a
quick list of things that need doing for the Qt port:

- The "Capture Options" dialogue needs implementing. Michael Tuexen
and I had a discussion about design options for this in December, see
the thread containing [1] and [2] (it's a long thread, I think most of
the relevant content is within a few messages of the ones I've linked,
but if you're interested it's probably worth reading the entire
thread)

- Everything in the "Statistics" menu in the GTK version needs
implementing. This could also use a major conceptual re-organization
it seems, though I haven't given it a great deal of thought.
Specifically if every protocol that wants to implement statistics gets
an entry in this menu then it's going to get way too long, so figuring
out some protocol-agnostic statistics frameworks might be an
interesting problem. There's also the problem that Wireshark (GTK) and
Tshark have a lot of nearly-duplicated code for statistics, so if we
do end up with a generic framework it would be good to be able to
unify those as well.

- Everything in the "Telephony" menu in the GTK version needs
implementing. This could also potentially benefit from a unified
framework, though I have no idea what it actually does at the moment
(telephony is not my area of expertise)

I'm sure there are other misc. features that need to be ported, but
those three represent a large chunk of Wireshark's advanced GUI
functionality.

Cheers,
Evan

[1] https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/201212/msg00055.html