Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Enhanced PCAP-NG dissection

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:25:15 +0000

I’m not sure that adding the ability to read new block types or options via a plugin is a good idea.  If new options or block types are needed the PCAP-NG specification should be updated

With them and Wireshark enhanced to read them. Having plugins might encourage people to change the format in incompatible ways. If proprietary solutions are needed one could

Invent a generic proprietary block format with a vendor id and opaque content.

Just my 2 c

Regards

Andeers