Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-Dev] GSoC 2013: Improved Fuzzing

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:42:43 -0700
Our current fuzz tests are run using the fuzz-test.sh and run-randpkt.sh
scripts in the "tools" directory in the Wireshark sources. fuzz-test.sh
uses editcap to introduce errors in existing capture files and
run-randpkt.sh uses randpkt to create packets with random contents.
We've been able to find many bugs with each script but each approach is
naive and inefficient. Neither uses modern fuzzing techniques such as
code coverage analysis.