Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Icon Poll - is this OK?

From: "Laura Chappell" <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 12:04:43 -0700
Hi folks,

Poll results so far.

Full report with 1094 respondents and over 333 comments
Download .xls file from
https://www.yousendit.com/download/UVJpTG13Q3RveE9ybHNUQw.

Icon Set #1 (Current 1.8.6 icon set): 111
Icon Set #2 (Current 1.9.3 icon set): 42
Icon Set #3 (Green circle w/play arrow - red circle w/square): 637
<----------- !!!!
Icon Set #4 (Green circle - red circle/no shapes inside): 267
None of the above: 37

<opinion>
If we go with the current #2 used in Wireshark 1.9.3, we will have MAJOR
complaints and headaches. I would immediately toss those icons and forget
the "record" metaphor completely as it affects so many areas - such as
documentation, terminology, etc. Given the comments to this poll, people
want simple and green=go/red=stop. Color blind issues indicate the need for
a shape as well (arrow/square).  Think the green arrow/red square makes
sense (no circles) - see recommendation below.

RECOMMENDATION:
Start= just green arrow
Stop= just red square
No circles around the icons - simple, ok for color blind folks, smaller
icons can be created - this was suggested in the poll comments.
</opinion>

.and Shawn Carroll's wife is a professional graphic designer!!! Sounds
fabulous to me.! <grin>

Laura