Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Start and stop capture toolbar buttons?

From: Ed Beroset <beroset@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 14:54:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00)
Evan Huus wrote:
>The *proper* (for certain values of that word) way to decide this issue is
>really to do a usability study, however that is expensive/time-consuming so
>unless Riverbed wants to make that investment it isn't likely to happen
>with any degree of rigour.

There was a study on that very thing many years ago when the object of study was icons for VCRs.  (Anybody remember them?)  http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=515hD47OVB0C&lpg=PA552&pg=PA553#v=onepage&q&f=false

They found the same confusion about the Record icon and noted that the Play icon had 85% recognition, but Record only 42% and noted that the Record icon was "Often though of as 'stop', particularly if coloured red.  Connotations of traffic lights, 'no entry' sign or full stop."

For that reason, I suggest we either use a different color (green? blue?) or (ab)use the Play icon and that we make the "stop" icon red if it isn't already by now (I'm still using SVN Rev 48628 at the moment).

Ed