Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Bluetooth SBC codec in RTP Player

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 15:36:53 +0000
On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Michal.Labedzki@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> 2) Why destroy the G729/G723 support? Even though it's not in there, they're
>> hooks for having it there.
>
> As I know license of this library (G729/G723)  does not allow the linking with Wireshark. Instead of there is plugin easy_codec doing that in right way.
> Where that hooks are (HAVE_G729_G723 is never used)? I see that it is hack to manually download, merge source codes and compile them statically with Wireshark.
> Maybe open source implementation of that codecs should be used?

The problem with including audio or video codec decoders is you enter the lovely world of patents. I assume this is why they have not been included in Wireshark's distribution so far.

G.729 is covered by patents for which a license is required, usually requiring royalty payments.

When you say "G.723" - if you mean G.723.1, then that's covered by patents too.  If you really mean just "G.723", I doubt it's under patents since it's so old, but it's also not used by anyone as far as I know. (most people say "G.723" but they almost always mean G.723.1)

Bluetooth SBC used to be covered by a patent too (EP0400755), but it expired, so it's probably safe. (IANAL though)

-hadriel